Sunday, March 11, 2012

Day 20 - The Neck Whisker

While talking to some students after school, I was a having a good time enjoying the appropriate humor of some really good kids until one of my students noticed that I had an inch long black hair growing on my neck! At first she didn't think it was attached, so she decided it were her job to pull on it. She pulled and found that it in fact was attached! Ahhhhh! It became a big thing that I tried to down play. I was not embarrassed nor did I care that the kids had been the one to find it. Normally, I would have seen it in the mirror and probably pulled it out or shaved it, but the mirror fast did not really control random neck hairs.

Again, I tried to down play it, but it was not a situation that was going to go away. At last a student named the hair a "neck whisker" and went to get a pair of scissors because it became apparent that our previous conversation could not continue until the neck whisker was taken care of.

During this no mirror experiment, I have found that I am not too worried about my outward appearance, but others seem to be completely intrigued by any miscues that might ensue from not carefully prepping in front of the mirror. It is actually to the point that I feel I would rather be in front of a mirror just so I don't have to waste time with the comments of a neck whisker or bushy eye brows. I have tried to make these moments the much sought after "learning moments." I am prone to give a speech on just about any topic when given even the slightest opening, but I have found this topic of looks to be one that people won't listen to or let go. Maybe looks do in fact matter...

No comments:

Post a Comment