Saturday, February 4, 2012

Day 2 - Presentation Day

Today, I have a presentation in front of many of my peers. I have a shirt and tie on that I assume match. I found out once I got to school that my tie was crooked. Other than this I didn’t receive much feedback and things went really well. My students performed well for the tours they give, and all of my interactions with fellow teachers seemed to be well received. So far the lack of mirrors is not holding me back.

 I wanted to touch on a little more on why I am without mirrors this month. What do we most often look for in the mirror? Outside of the sixteen year old boy getting ready for his first date, we rarely stand in front of the mirror and get ourselves excited and pumped up about what we see. Often, we are going to the mirror image that everyone sees every day to look for imperfections. Now granted, we are going to the mirror to fix that hair that is sticking up or the collar that is accidentally popped or to confirm that our outfit does in fact match. The mirror has become a place to look for the negative in our physical appearance. In my routine, that would mean I would start the day and end the day by looking for what is wrong with me. The hypocrisy of the whole system became clear not too long ago. I want to be defined by what the Bible tells me I am and not by what the world is conforming me to be. The hypothesis becomes this: Every time I look in the mirror I look for something to change so I conform to the world’s standards of physical appearance, so if I stop looking in the mirror and continue seeking for the way God sees me, I should be left at the end of the month with a better idea of how God sees me and thus a better understanding of my relationship with God. Let the experiment begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment